Regardless of any organization’s size, the HR department is an essential component of an organization as it is assigned to maximize employee productivity and protect the company from any issues to arise within the workforce.
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION
The terms “recruitment” and “selection” are two different terms. Recruitment means searching for a potential candidate to apply for a vacant job position and on the other hand selection is concerned with choosing the best employees from the selected candidates for the vacant job position.
Employees who are selected for the job position should be highly productive in their work so that company will get benefit from his or her performance. Therefore, it is the role as well a responsibility of an HR to ensure that the right one is chosen for the job position.
HR analyzes all the candidates, researches the job roles, consults the managers before finalizing the candidates, and then takes the interviews of the potential candidates, and they are the first on the company to whom a newly hired candidate talks to.
WELCOMING OF A NEW CANDIDATE
A HR introduces the company to the newly hired employee and introduce the job responsibilities to the newly hired employee. It provide the employee with the information that they might need to be well acquainted with the company.
Mainly the purpose of welcoming is to explain the employee:
• about their roles and responsibilities.
• the policies of the company.
• the hierarchy of the company and its duties.
HR conducts this welcoming, keeping in mind that it is mutually beneficial for the company and the employee.
HR ensures that employees are engaged in their work assigned to them with full dedication and enthusiasm. HR plays a vital role in employee engagement as they are the one to whom an employee meets at the beginning and at the end. All the HR fundamentals should be correct to keep the employees engaged in their work. HR needs to ensure that employees have the right skills, tools and workspace to work in ease and be engaged in their assigned work. HR should also look after the management engagement and leaders engagement as they are also beneficial to the company.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW EMPLOYEE
In the last few years, companies have realized the importance of giving training to their employees and have started investing in their development.
HR should pursue employee training for:
• Employee retention: It’s the biggest challenge for the company to retain the employees that have been hired. An employee will be loyal if only they are given adequate career development opportunities. Employee retention is a turning point in the company that can make it or break it.
• Addressing the weakness of employees: When an HR takes the interviews of the potential candidates, that time they understand the weakness or the skills an employee is lacking and thus give training to the needed one to overcome those weaknesses and perform accordingly.
• Increases the capacity to adopt new technologies: Giving employees training and upskills regularly helps them to be educated about the latest technologies, developments, methods or models.
• Boosts the job satisfaction: When a company invests in its employees training, the employees also feel like an important asset, increasing the job satisfaction of working in the company and it keeps them motivated to work professionally.
HR acts as a mediator to resolve conflicts between two employees, managers, or leaders. HR should go with the conflict resolution policy of the company to reach out at a final and an acceptable solution. Appropriate disciplinary actions should be kept in place and the details should be communicated to everyone.
Performance appraisal means the periodic evaluation of the employees so that the managers can understand their progress and minimize their shortcomings.
This is one of the roles of the HR of the company for employees promotion, compensation, or development. Employees should be crystal clear of the criteria for performance appraisal. HR should change the perception of employees who take performance appraisal as a negative aspect.
HR should be familiar with the responsibilities of all the employees so that evaluation can be done on those key areas. After completing the process of performance appraisal, the candidate should be given their report, so that they are satisfied with it.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFIT
Compensation and benefits include all the benefits that a company provides to their employees in exchange for their job, which includes insurance, stock opinions, skills development, housing facilities, transportation facilities, and retirement benefits. A person looking for a job will see a salary first, but in reality, compensation is much more than a regular payout. The company provides these benefits to employees indirectly.
It is necessary as this will help the company in retaining their employees. HR should keep a check on market rate as it is an amount which a company is willing to pay for a service or can conduct a salary survey to get an idea of market rate.
ENSURES EMPLOYEES HEALTH AND SAFETY
Employees work 8-10 hours a day for a company, so there should be someone who can ensure their health and safety. It is a significant role and responsibility of the HR of the company.
• an HR should set a tone for the company culture for the employee, which will reflect positively on the company.
• HR should initiate some formal safety programs in the organization for employees.
• HR should make sure that employees are getting their benefits that are initiated for them.
• An employee should be given a good workplace to work in.
These are some roles and responsibilities of an HR of a company which states that the human resource (HR) department plays a vital role in company’s growth. A company is good as its people, and HR is in charge of these people.